According to the common belief among people, there is a belief that calcium withdrawal will occur in the teeth of pregnant women during pregnancy and due to this reason, women may lose teeth during pregnancy. However, this belief is not true. Some pregnant women may face tooth and gum problems during pregnancy, and this is often associated with the pregnancy process. However, there are some critical points to consider during pregnancy. If these critical points are paid attention to, it may be possible to maintain oral and dental health. At the beginning of these, pregnant women should consume calcium sources correctly and, if necessary, take supplemental calcium with the guidance of the doctor.
What should we pay attention to for dental health and treatment during pregnancy?
There are some points to be considered about oral and dental health during pregnancy. These can be listed as follows;
1. You should brush your teeth after a certain time after eating sweets.
2. After vomiting, you should rinse your mouth with water.
3. Do not neglect to brush because the gums bleed, consult your doctor if you think you have advanced gum bleeding.
4. You should brush your teeth at least twice a day and use dental floss. Thus, you will provide effective oral and dental care and prevent the formation of dental plaque.
5. Pregnant women are recommended to gargle with suitable mouthwashes or with warm salt water.
6. During pregnancy, it is necessary to pay attention to consuming calcium for oral and dental health.
7. If there is no necessity, we recommend postponing the X-ray procedures until after the birth.
8. You should stay away from effective dental treatment for the first 3 months of pregnancy. Treatments to the 2nd trimester of pregnancy; that is, the 4th month, the 5th-month house should be postponed to the 6th month. The last 3 months of pregnancy are also very important months and non-emergency treatments should be postponed until after delivery.
9. The use of painkillers or antibiotics should not be taken without the recommendation of the doctor.
What is the best time for dental treatment during pregnancy?
The understanding that “tooth and gum treatments are not performed during pregnancy” is a belief that is not correct by dentists. Hormonal changes during pregnancy can cause inflammation of the gums, and this problem in the teeth can cause premature birth and many other serious problems. If you are considering a planned pregnancy, we recommend that you include a visit to the dentist in your health checkups. If you do not neglect your oral and dental health during pregnancy, you should not neglect it. You can decide on the appropriate treatment methods for the pregnancy period by consulting the dentists you trust for oral and dental diseases that occur during pregnancy.
In oral and dental treatment during pregnancy, treatment may be preferred, especially between the 16th and 28th weeks, so that the pain level does not affect the baby. During pregnancy, dental treatment, root canal treatment, and even tooth extraction can be performed under anesthesia.
No harm has been observed to the baby with the local anesthesia used during the treatment. If antibiotic treatment is required, the dentist and obstetrician can decide together and choose antibiotics that do not harm the baby. During pregnancy, conditions that negatively affect oral and dental health may occur. Health problems in the mouth and teeth can cause premature birth, so it is very important to protect oral and dental health and repair if necessary.If you want to have dental treatment during pregnancy, you are welcome to our Dentamedi Oral and Dental Health Clinic in Ataköy, Istanbul. You can also contact us via our website.